Joel P. Jensen Students, Parents/Guardians, and Community Members,
As many of you have already heard, our school board members met the evening of Thursday, Nov. 18th, 2020 to discuss our rising school Covid cases, which includes some of our critical staff members. They decided to move Joel P. Jensen Middle School to online learning from Monday, November 23rd with the return date of Monday, Dec. 7th. We want this time to be as successful as possible for our students. Here is information about this online learning time that is important to note:
- Unlike in the Spring, we will be conducting “synchronous learning classes.”
- Synchronous learning involves students logging on to their Chromebooks at certain times during the day when classes are held.
- Attendance will be taken each class period.
- Parents/guardians will be contacted if their students are not logging on.
- Class times will be 30 minutes in length.
- Teachers will typically instruct for half of the time and allow students to work on the assignments the other half of the period, with the teachers available for help.
- A “grab and go” lunch will be available at the school for students that can get here from 10:45 – 12:00 each day. With it will be breakfast for the next morning.
- Busses will not be available during this time.
- The final period ends at 1:30 p.m., and teachers have office hours from 1:40-2:30. Students can log on to their class link and meet for teacher help during this time. This is the best time for questions or concerns to be addressed with teachers.
- Fridays will be as we have had them this year, meaning students may come to the school to work in the wood shop, ceramics, etc.
Here is the tentative schedule, which is subject to change if issues come up:
- 8:30-9:00 (1st Period)
- 9:00-9:30 (2nd Period)
- 9:30-9:45 (Break)
- 9:45-10:15 (3rd Period)
- 10:15-10:45 (4th Period)
- 10:45-12:00 (Break/Lunch)
- 12:00-12:30 (5th Period)
- 12:30-1:00 (6th Period)
- 1:00-1:30 (7th Period)
- 1:30-1:40 (Break)
- 1:40-2:30 (Office Hours)
Parents, please help us by setting the expectations at home that this is NOT vacation time. Online learning is for learning. During school time, there should be no access to video games, television programs, social media, and other distractions. We have academic coaches who will be contacting you if your student is not participating. Please be kind to these professionals, as they are part of the team to help your student be successful.
Faculty and staff will still be at the school building during this synchronous learning time. If a student needs to pick up any supplies, please have them come to the main office.
If you do not have the internet at your home, the school has recently received some mobile hotspots to check out during this time. They are located in our media center.
Counselors will be available each day on Zoom or in person. They want to help where they can. They will also be monitoring our freshmen to make sure they are keeping up on their work.
Administration will be available in person, on the phone, or through email.
Our School Psychologist and Speech/Language Therapists will continue to work with their students via Zoom.
Our English Language Learner Aides will be in contact with the students they work with.
Several academic coaches will be in contact with students who are not taken part in synchronous learning, or who are not being successful. They will also be contacting parents.
Students may still check out books from our media center through Destiny and those may be picked up in the main office. They can also use the Sora App for digital novels. A drop box will be available in the front entryway, as well.
For any tech questions related to our Chromebooks, please contact our tech, Daniel Baker at Daniel.email@example.com
Thank you for helping us make this online learning time as successful as possible. It’s going to take a team effort, but we know we can do it if we work together! Rise Above!